Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The Military Path Our Country Is On Endangers Not Only Our Democracy But Also The Sustainability Of The Planet


Illustration by Anthony Freda
Opening statement from Zumwalt 12 defendant Richard "Brown" Lethem who goes on trial February 1 for obstructing a public way:

My action taken on June 18, 2016 on the public way was calculated not to block but to open a doorway for my country to regain its moral equilibrium and sanity. 
My position which will be made clear in my personal statement, is based on two unalterable things. The first one is my Quaker faith-based moral opposition to all preparation for war. 
The second is my firm and thoughtful conviction that the military path our country is on endangers not only our democracy but also the sustainability of the planet.


Some of the Zumwalt 12 at their arraignment in West Bath District Court, August 1, 2016

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So inspiring, courageous. Righteous without self-righteousness. May their example move many more to emulate them.